Giảng viên Michael Duvall là giảng viên có nhiều năm kinh nghiệm đào tạo IELTS giúp rất nhiều bạn cải thiện kỹ năng IELTS Writing nhờ các model essay vô cùng hữu ích của thầy. Hôm nay, KTDC IELTS giới thiệu đến các bạn một trong những bài mẫu band 8.0 của thầy Michael đó chính là Model Essay Topic Gas Prices. Các bạn cùng tham khảo nhé!
Increasing the price of petrol is the best way to solve growing traffic and pollution problems. To what extent do you agree or disagree? What other measures do you think might be effective?
IELTS Model Essay Topic Gas Prices
Almost all scientists and policy makers acknowledge the fact that most peoples’ quality of life is being adversely affected by smog and noxious fumes that result from increased vehicle use. Moreover, congestion in city streets as well as highways that link cities and regions is becoming problematic, and it is clear something must be done to address traffic issues. However, I think it is a bad idea to raise gas prices as a way to alleviate the problems, and there are other steps that should be considered first.
Deterring people from using personal vehicles by making gas more costly will only lead to them either spending more of their daily budget on gas or being unable to freely operate their vehicle. For millions of people in countries all over the world who serve as taxi drivers or who commute to work, the loss of a vehicle could mean the end of life itself. But, for people with a comfortable income, spending more to fill the tank of their SUV will be a minor nuisance. The needs of the common workers must be considered as we fix pollution and congestion, in my view.
One step to take would be to raise the tax on the sale of luxury vehicles like Lamborghinis or taxing the ability to own two or more cars. This may reduce careless gas use. Also, tax payers who use public transport could receive a tax incentive to do so. Actually, in many places, investment in a modern and capable public transport system should be the first step governments take. This may lead to a decrease in petrol consumption. The taxes from the luxury cars could, in fact, be used to supplement their construction and maintenance.
In sum, making petroleum more expensive may reduce its use, but not among the right section of the populace. Increases could hurt small businessmen and businesswomen all over the earth. Tax incentives and creating opportunities to use public transport are better ways to reduce gas usage.
Từ vựng trong bài:
- policy makers: Những nhà hoạch định chính sách
- acknowledge ( v) : thừa nhận
- quality of life : chất lượng cuộc sống
- to be adversely affected by …. : bị ảnh hưởng xấu bởi ….
- noxious fumes: khói độc hại
- result from= be caused by
- increased vehicle use: Nhu cầu sử dụng xe tăng cao
- traffic congestion (n) : tắc nghẽn giao thông
- address traffic issues : xem xét và tìm cách giải quyết các vấn đề giao thông
- alleviate (v)= reduce: giảm
- Deterring people from using personal vehicles : cản trở/ ngăn ngừa con người sử dụng những phương tiện cá nhân
deter someone from doing something = discourage someone from doing something
- Increasing the price of petrol= making petroleum more expensive= making gas more costly: tăng giá xăng
- commute to work : đi làm
- the loss of a vehicle: không được sử dụng xe cộ
- a comfortable income : thu nhập dư dả
- minor nuisance : ít phiền toái
- The needs of the common workers: nhu cầu của những người lao động thông thường
- raise the tax on… : tăng thuế trên …
- tax payers: người đóng thuế
- tax incentive: ưu đãi thuế
public transport system: Hệ thống giao thông công cộng
- petrol consumption: sự tiêu thụ xăng dầu
- be used to supplement : được sử dụng đẻ bổ sung vào
- not among the right section of the populace: không đúng với tất cả quần chúng